Friday 28 October 2011

Charcutaria Francesa

It wasn’t that hard to find a parking spot – especially considering the town area I was. But I could also have used the valet parking service, something that is not that usual in Portugal. If we think that we are in the middle of one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Lisbon, with tiny narrow streets finding its way through 200 years old buildings, just next to the Parliament, a stone away from some of the busiest and hippest night spots of the town, it is a very valuable service. But it wasn’t my option. I preferred to park on my own, walk 300 meters and, hop, I was in the restaurant. A small room, but neat, cosy, nice – expectations were high on a great dinner to start the night!

The starters buffet was great – small tapas, the kind that you let linger and taste in your mouth, like a cold soup shot, a good bruschetta, raw salmon, fried corn… Good! To wash it down, we ordered one of the promoted wines – and, believe it or not, we paid only €5 for a very good wine (and though we are in Portugal and you can drink good and cheap wine, this price was at supermarket level…).

To order the entrees you can’t expect a book menu – the food of the day is recited by one of the restaurant owners. Opinions at this time divided, but I couldn’t resist a nuts and honey octopus with the promise of a strong and exquisite flavour – and I love when promises come through! Other choices were the noir spaghetti with shrimps (that was mildly appreciated by my friends), a fish fillet with ham and vegetables (that looked delicious) and a hare stuffed with mushrooms.

Desserts – I couldn’t resist a chocolate petit gateau with icecream. There isn’t much to do – chocolate is my doom! Some friends of mine opted for pear with icecream – and though a good choice, I still believe mine was better!

This is a very well located, niece restaurant, where you can eat very, very well, and with a warm service. I liked the wines (and the prices). And it was for around €26,5 per person. I recommend! The only point I would like to change was the olive oil – but when that is the thing to point as an improvement, that is all said…

Where: Lisbon - Portugal

Address: Rua Manuel Bernardes nº5 a/b, 1200-250 Lisboa

Phone: +351 21 395 8445

Website: http://www.charcutaria-francesa.com

Expensive: Around €30

Last visit: January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment